Members of the NECN Boston Business Editors roundtable joined NECN to countdown the top five business stories of 2014.
5. The international travel boom at Logan Airport has literally put Boston on the map. Paul Guzzi, president and CEO of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, said that tourism will increase as a result of the additions.
4. Boston is one of the final U.S. Cities in the running to get the 2024 Olympic Games bid. Shirely Leung of the Boston Globe said that whether or not Boston is awarded the bid, the infrastructure planning will benefit the city.
3. In 2014, the economy recovered with the Stock Market at an all time high and unemployment rates and gas prices dropping. Although, according to Craig Douglas of the Boston Business Journal, there are still signs of distress such as a low participation rate and a stagnant long term unemployment rate.
2. The Massachusetts casino license was awarded to Wynn Resorts in Everett. The editors agree that this will be a top story in Massachusetts business for years to come. NECN’s business editor Peter Howe adds that with the casino license comes obstacles for Wynn, like the environmental review, the agreement with Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, and solving the traffic flow problem in the area.
1. The Market Basket workers revolt takes the top spot, as thousands of workers walked off the job when their CEO, Arthur T. Demoulas, was ousted from the company. As employees protested and shelves were left bare, customers sided with the workers and boycotted stores. Guzzi says other companies can learn to treat their employees and customers well and be competitive in pricing.
The editors also talked about the ALS ice bucket challenge, in addition to predictions for the year ahead. Watch the above video for the complete discussion.
For up-to-the-minute news and weather, be sure to follow NECN on Twitter and like us on Facebook. Sign up for our new breaking news email alerts by clicking here.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
Want something else to read? How about ‘Grievous Censorship’ By The Guardian: Israel, Gaza And The Termination Of Nafeez Ahmed’s Blog
Powered by WPeMatico