Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) Adult Services Librarian Cathy DeBerry knows local small business professionals and the challenges they face: “The small business or home-based business often is a one-man show. As a result, the owner wears many hats. He or she is often the CEO, CFO, Network Engineer and VP of Marketing.”
With that in mind, DeBerry created a list of business magazines that she recommends small business owners read. “With limited access to staffing, funding and resources, the small business owner can look to our ’12 Magazines Every Small Business Owner Should Read’ list so that he or she can learn more about marketing, technology, finance, leadership, human resources, management, entrepreneurship and goal setting,” she said.
SCLSNJ’s 12 Business Magazines Every Small Business Owner Should Read
Harvard Business Review
Home Business Magazine
MIT Sloan Management Review
New Jersey Business
Small Business Opportunities
Strategy & Business
“These magazines target small business owners and entrepreneurs,” said DeBerry. “Think of these publications as a free business consultant that is available to the small business owner whenever needed.”
Additionally, DeBerry and Amy Atzert, SCLSNJ Adult Services Librarian, have developed a list of SCLSNJ’s Top 20 Business Books of 2014:
1. Thrive by Arianna Huffington
2. Flash Boys by Michael Lewis
3. Creativity Inc. by Edwin Catmull
4. Entrepreneurial StrengthsFinder by Jim Clifton
5. Talk Like Ted by Carmine Gallo
6. Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t by Simon Sinek
7. The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
8. The Soft Edge: Where Great Companies Find Lasting Success by Richard Karlgaard
9. How Google Works by Eric Schmidt
10. Zero to One: Notes on Startups or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
11. The Innovators: How a Group of Inventors, Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution by Walter Isaacson
12. The Gen Z Effect: The Six Forces Shaping the Future of Business by Thomas Koulopoulos and Dan Keldsen
13. Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time by Jeffrey Sutherland
14. The Carpenter: A Story About the Greatest Success Strategies of All by Jon Gordon
15. Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street by John Brooks
16. Economics: The User’s Guide by Ha-Joon Chang
17. The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership by Richard Branson
18. Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators and Icons Accelerate Success by Shane Snow
19. How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination by Sally Hogshead
20. A Bigger Prize: How We Can Do Better Than the Competition by Margaret Heffernan
All of these recommended materials can be found at library. For more information about how SCLSNJ can help you and your business, visit SCLSNJ.org or call 908-526-4016.
Somerset County Library System of New Jersey partners with you to connect, to explore, to share and to discover. Together we enrich lives, expand knowledge and strengthen communities. SCLSNJ branches can be found in Bridgewater, Bound Brook, Hillsborough, Manville, at the Mary Jacobs Library in Rocky Hill, North Plainfield, Peapack & Gladstone, Somerville, Warren Township and Watchung. In addition, there are SCLSNJ Reading Stations in Branchburg and Washington Valley.
Visit SCLSNJ.org for further information about library services offered at SCLSNJ.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.
Powered by WPeMatico